A hardisc spindown control tool
Download !spin v3.01 (16-Feb-2003) [25.8k Spark archive]
What is Spin?
This application allows you to easily manipulate the spin down of your
With one click you can spin the disk up or down. You can
also set the auto spin down delay time of the disks and the CMOS spin
down delay value.
It operates by calling the ADFS_PowerControl SWI with the appropriate
[ From the RISC OS 3 Programmers Reference Manual, issue 1, page 2-292 ]
"It can be dangerous to use this call on drives that do not
drive spin control. The controllers on at least two drives tested hang up
when auto-spindown is enabled; a reset does not recover the situation,
although a power-on reset does."
- The application requires the Toolbox v1.36 module
- The maximum auto-spindown delay time is currently set to 1200 seconds
New features of version 3.01:
- Re-compiled to be 32-bit neutral. Linked with the Castle Shared C Libary.
New features of version 3.00:
- Now controls all ADFS disks.
- Automatically looks up the names of the disks.
- Spindown times can be controled for each disk separately.
- All disks can be spun down simultaneously with one click.
- Can also set CMOS spindown value.
- Has command line options to set delay values for all disks and
for the CMOS value.
New features of version 2.02:
- Added an "Off" button to make switching off the spindown
user friendly (you don't have to remember setting the delay value to
zero to switch the delay off).
New features of version 2.01
- Added command line options to set the delay time "-delay
New features of version 2.00
- The application is now written in C, instead of BASIC. It now only
requires 28k instead of 96k.
Features to add
- Can anyone make a nicer icon please? Personally I think my artwork
- Add !Sprites file next to the !Sprites22 file
(!Sprites is now
merely a copy of !Sprites22)
- Add Internationalization
Giving the application away
You are strongly advised to distribute Spin and to give it to any
RiscOS machine owners you know.
This application is FREEWARE, i.e. it may be copied
freely, provided that
no part of it is deleted or changed and that it is not sold for profit.
For questions, remarks, suggestions, comments etc.
see the contacts page
$Id: spin.html 1.6 2006-02-05 03:20:40+01 erikgrnh Exp $